The Green Mountain Center for Sustainability at Prescott College is seeking several work-study students to support the center's outreach and support duties.
This is an exciting opportunity for students who wish to help Prescott College improve its sustainability and resilience by supporting the Green Mountain Center's efforts in outreach, community-building, project-based learning, and operational efforts on campus. This job will also provide valuable on-the-job experience for students interested in going into sustainability, community organizing, and/or communication fields.
This Sustainability Center Assistant will support the center's director in creating and promoting activities in which learning takes place through identifying and addressing challenges, from building a rich and supportive sense of community to helping facilitate the center's sustainability efforts online and on campus.
Through these efforts, Sustainability Center Assistants will interact with all levels of staff, students, faculty, and the public. They will be challenged to apply all their academic knowledge and skills towards research projects and organization, and will, by doing so, gain exposure to project management dynamics from initiation through completion. Probable weekly duties include the following:
- Monitoring use of the Sustainability Lounge in Cicada Hall, including late evening hours
- Brainstorming, organizing, publicizing, and supporting events in the Center
- Helping ensure a safe and welcoming space for all students at Prescott College
- Some light cleaning and securing of facilities
- Working with other groups to build a sense of community on campus and beyond
- Gathering data and maintaining database of GMC alumni
- Conducting research and producing online content for the Green Mountain Center website and social media
- Helping facilitate on-campus sustainability efforts, including composting and recycling
- Developing and implementing strategies for project-based education around campus and city sustainability challenges
- Attending weekly meetings to brainstorm projects and delegate work projects
- Drive vans to shuttle students to trailheads, grocery stores, and other destinations
The successful applicant will contribute to this workplace dynamic with optimism and enthusiasm. We will expect that all chosen tasks will be completed on schedule and with high quality and, in this way, we will attempt to mimic a professional work environment.